FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
SENIOR RESEARCH CONSULTANT
LEVEL 6 PEROMNES POST
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria would like to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research universities in the country and gives us a competitive edge in the international development of science and technology.
The Internal Statistical Consultancy Service (ISCS) of the Department of Statistics at the University of Pretoria provides statistical consultancy services to all members of the University’s research community and their affiliated institutes and hospitals. Members of the University of Pretoria, including academic members, post-docs and graduate students, have used our services successfully. Consultations at ISCS are led by well-trained and professional statisticians who provide guidance at any stage of research design and data analysis, and in formulating research problems more precise. We support our clients’ research by applying appropriate statistical techniques in analyzes to extract the most useful insights from the data and help them interpret the results in context. This way, our customers’ data is better analyzed to make more accurate predictions and reliable test hypotheses. For more advanced research problems, we also offer and support innovative and state-of-the-art statistical methods. We also discuss potential academic collaborations and possible joint projects with our clients.
We are currently seeking suitable candidates for a Statistical Consultant at the level of Research Consultant or Senior Research Consultant to join our highly reputable and well-established team of Statistical Consultants.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Conduct independent statistical analyzes and assist doctoral students, masters students and UP staff in the statistical aspects of their academic research;
- Develop and implement experimental design, questionnaire design, advanced analysis and interpretation of results;
- Exhibit innovative and creative thinking ability, particularly within modern statistical practice, proactively present new ideas on expanding industry partnerships, and provide modern statistical and data science solutions to partners
- A master’s degree in statistics or mathematical statistics, which includes a credited research dissertation and credited course work comprising basic elements that correspond to the responsibilities required of the holder;
- Proven competence and prior experience of at least three (3) years required in:
- Statistical consultation and practice with evidence of teamwork, project completion, and potential for publication in accredited peer-reviewed journals;
- Demonstrable expert knowledge in at least two major statistical software programming languages;
- Application of a range of modern statistical techniques (e.g., supervised and unsupervised learning modelling; machine learning and data science analysis);
- Some knowledge of high-dimensional and big data analysis.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIORAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Presentation of workshops on the practice of statistics, including topics on statistical research methods and design;
- Coach and guide inexperienced statisticians with statistical consulting practices;
- Manage and guide MSc students/team members in carrying out statistical consulting projects;
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of at least one of the statistical software programming languages SAS, R, Python or SPSS;
- Demonstrate ability to automate and streamline consulting project workflow;
- Experience in creating client-specific solutions using relevant statistical techniques.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AN/A PREFERENCES:
In addition to the skills listed above, the following skills will be an advantage:
- A doctorate in mathematical statistics/statistics;
- Research experience with evidence of writing and scientific publications;
- Presentation at scientific congresses;
- Support and mentoring, including student supervision;
- The ability to work accurately under pressure;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good time management, planning and organizational skills;
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously;
- The ability to think analytically and laterally;
- The ability to work in a team with varying levels of experience and expertise.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
Recent advances in computing ecosystems and statistical software packages require the incumbent to ensure that their expertise matches the challenges of the diverse members of the University of Pretoria research staff. The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate these skills as well as the ability to continually develop in this area. Therefore, potential candidates would be required to participate in a simulated practical assessment to demonstrate these skills.
The annual compensation package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s appointment level, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid plans and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za and follow the link: Careers@UP.
To apply for this position, please contact:
- A complete CV;
- Certified copies of diplomas;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three references that we are authorized to contact.
CLOSING DATE: June 28, 2022
No applications will be considered after the closing date, or if they do not meet at least the minimum requirements
Ms. E Kühn, Email: email@example.com for application related inquiries and Prof S Manda, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for post content inquiries.
If you do not hear from the University of Pretoria by September 30, 2022, please accept that your application has not been successful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the University’s employment equity plan and its employment equity goals and targets, preference will be given to, but not limited to, applicants from the designated groups under -represented.
All applicants who meet the nomination requirements are welcome to apply. All applicants agree to submit to verification of personal identification information.
By applying for this position, applicants consent to undergo verification of personal identification and related information, including but not limited to qualifications, criminal record, credit file, current disciplinary proceedings and background as part of the selection process.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill advertised positions.